Thursday, 23 August 2007

A week in the life of us

As I was discussing on Thoughts and Wonderings, I love the nitty gritty. The day-to-day news. The stuff that never gets mentioned more than a couple of days after it happened. I love understanding what my friends and family's lives consist of. It's often what we do that defines us. Not our job necessarily, although that plays a big role, but how we choose to spend our time. So here's how we choose to spend ours.

Weekday mornings - Will leaves early. He picks up Euey and puts him in bed with me, giving him a little cuddle and telling him he's going to work but he'll be back later to play. At the moment Aoife is usually already in bed with me cause she's sick and not sleeping well. The three of us go back to sleep for a few hours and get up around 7.

Weekday evenings - Will tries to get home by 5:30 but sometimes it's more like 6:30. He rings me about 5 mins before he gets home and I get the kids organised and into the pram so we can go for a little walk to the park or shops as soon as he gets home. Then we come home, Euey watches the Simpsons (his absolute favourite show), Will gets his work stuff organised and I cook dinner. After dinner it's bath or shower time, then Will reads Euey a story, I feed Aoife and they both go happily off to sleep (most nights). Will and I have a little time together then he starts his ordering and paperwork and I either study, do more damn cleaning, help Will with admin stuff or bludge in front of the tv.

Monday
We usually potter around the house on Monday mornings because Will loads one truck then comes back around 9 or 10 to drop it off for the driver and pick up his truck for the day. Both kids go crazy when he gets home. Euey jumps on him and Aoife calls out 'ahhh ahhh' 'til he picks her up. Euey goes and plays in the truck with him while he gets organised, then we say goodbye again.
I often try to gt some errands done between Will leaving and Euey's nap time (12:30ish). Euey loves 'going shops' and is happy to sit in the pram usually. More often than not he has a ride on one of those little carousels and we share a cake or donut!
Monday afternoons we go to playgroup. It used to be Mum's group but the kids got too big so we moved to a church hall, registered with Playgroup Australia, picked up a few new members and became a playgroup. There are 9 of us. 6 originals with 2 year olds and 3 newbies with kids around 18-20 months. I was the first to have 'the second child' and they all thought I was mad to go through it all again so soon. But now the second generation has really taken off. There is a 3 week old, Aoife and two more in-utero.

Tuesday
Tuesdays I have classes for Employment law, so the morning is spent making lunches and cleaning the house a bit so I don't have to do it when I get home. The kids go into care from 11:15 to 4:15. I usually try to take them to feed the ducks at Uni before I drop them off. They are both getting used to it now which makes it much easier for me to leave them (although still not easy at all!).

Wednesday
Wednesdays I have no classes but the kids go into care for a few hours so I can do some reading for my classes. Wednesdays are pretty similar to Tuesdays but there is no deadline so they sometimes get dropped off a little later.

Thursday
This is our play day. We have all day together. I love Thursdays. There's no deadlines, no rush and usually nothing that 'has to' be done. We do whatever Euey wants to do. That usually entails a walk in the pram and a trip to the park. Aoife loves being in the pram too and is now old enough to go down a slide with me, laugh at all Euey's antics and go on a baby swing by herself.
Today Euey chose to watch movies. Herbie 2 was first, then we got 1/2 way through Monster's Inc before bed. Now that Aoife is sitting up she is quite happy playing on the floor for awhile so I can get some washing etc done while they're occupied. If I'm lucky Aoife will go down for 40 winks (literally, she never sleeps longer than 40 mins during the day) while Euey is still asleep and I get a little time to play on the net - like I am right now.

Friday
Another study day. Kids in care for a few hours in the middle of the day. Very similar to Wednesdays except that I grab every moment I can to clean, do washing and otherwise get the house in shape so we can all play on the weekend. (I use the term 'in shape' very loosly by the way!).
Will usually brings home take-away cause neither of us can be bothered cooking.

Saturday
Will has a sleep in and gets up with us (sometimes if I'm really feeling nice I get the kids up and let him have a real sleep in). Euey goes to gym from 9 til 10. It's pandemonium! He's not so good on the following of instructions, so most of the hour is spent chasing him and trying to get him to do the right activity at the right time. He really enjoys it despite the constant redirection of his attention and has learnt to do somersaults, swing from the rings and balance along the beam.
Saturdays and Sundays Mum and I go for a long walk around one of Melbourne's many parks. Sounds like an advertisement I know, but you should have a look at a map of Melbourne compared to other cities, there are so many parks and they've all been interconnected so you can pretty much walk or ride all over the city without going on a road.

Sunday
Big fun play day. Not just normal fun, but BIG fun like the miniature railway or the Werribee Plains Zoo, or, hopefully in the near future, a trip to the snow.

So there you have it guys, a week in the life of us. It turned out a lot longer and more detailed than I planned, hope you made it too the end, cause this is the most important part. I want to hear about your week now. All of you. I want to go to your blog and read about your nitty-gritties. And if you don't have a blog feel free to leave your weekly diary in my comments section.

No comments: