Saturday, 10 May 2008

April update

Well, you will no longer have to read lists of the words Aoife can say. She says too many, I've given up counting or recording them. I stopped at about 50 a week or two ago, but she learns at least 2 a day, so god knows how many it is now. She's a right little terror too. Has been bashing kids up at childcare, kids that are bigger than her. Wrestling them to the ground apparently. Well, one kids, on one day, but still ...

Damn this parenting thing is hard sometimes, is it something that we are doing that teaches her to do that? Will she turn into a bully? How on earth do we prevent that? Euey too has been seen on occasion resorting to man-handling other kids when words don't work. Is it just a stage they go through 'til they learn to communicate effectively? I certainly hope so. Until I figure out an answer I've decided to stop man-handling them myself. Not that I'm rough, and I certainly don't hurt them, but if they don't listen when I ask them to do something 10 times, then I will often pick them up and put them where I want them. I guess that is teaching them that if words don't work maybe physical assistance is necessary. I think I need to stop sending that message, so, as mad as it might send me, I will continue to ask after the 10th time.

On other fronts, I have a new job, one day a week. Working with a not-for-profit organisation giving general advice on employment law. I start training next week and I guess working a few weeks after that. I'm excited. It will be nice to be in a professional environment with a bunch of people who have similar interests to me. Nice to add another dimension to my life, one that resembles where I will end up one day, when I finally get this law degree done. I'm off to bed tomorrow so I can be rested for Mother's Day tomorrow. We're doing the Mother's Day Classic - a 4 km walk to raise money for breast cancer research. Followed by a nice lunch. Yay.

Here's a few recent photos ...


We saw 'Big Thomas' ...
and Sir Topham Hat ...
and some weird bus with a face who Euey called 'Bertie'
For some reason one day Euey's hair just decided to do this. It stayed like that all day, despite me wetting it and sticking it down.


Check out these shoes - she insisted on wearing both pairs!





They are the best of friends these days and can often be found on the same chair.





1 comment:

Bon said...

my god, they're cute. i will have to hide the Big Thomas photos from O or he will die of jealousy.

interesting about the pushing/physicality stuff...your reason seems logical, except that we do the same when Oscar doesn't listen, and he hasn't done much pushing...but we do have a scratching/biting issue. damn Dave, must be him setting THAT example.