We've been talking a lot lately about Speck and all the things that will change when he/she comes. Preparation and knowledge are the keys to a smooth transition - at least that's what we're hoping. Euey has a new car seat that he's been sitting in sometimes, and Aoife's been in his old / her new seat. This weekend we'll turn Aoife's seat around and transform it into a baby seat, then there will be no swapping and changing, everyone will be in their 'new' seat permenantly.
We've also been talking about the operation and how the baby comes out. Michael, my ob-gyn, has been featuring a lot in our conversations, as it is him who the kids are trusting to cut me open and then fix me. They know him well, having come to most of my visits (which have been weekly for the last month or so). In fact Euey drew Michael at childcare the other day, referring to him as Michael, the doctor. Confused the carers a little when I explained he was the gyno, but he has been featuring in our lives a lot lately so it's hardly suprising he's at the forefront of Euey's mind.
We've reviewed photos of Euey's and Aoife's birth, with the emphasis on Aoife's because I just don't think toddler hood is the right time for discussions of natural vs Cesarean birth. Euey was fascinated by the blood on Aoife as she dangled by the leg from Michael's hand. I hope I've explained enough times that it's my blood (not the baby's) and I'm fine and I will be fine this time too. He seems interested, but not worried, so I reckon it's okay.
Aoife, though loving the idea of baby in Mummy's tummy, doesn't seem to think it's as interesting as the baby in her tummy. We leave that be. I feel toddler hood is also not the time for discussions of pre-teen pregnancy.
I think we're ready for this brother or sister.
No comments:
Post a Comment