Wednesday, 23 June 2010

Beginning of the Bedtime Stories Sequence

Been missing my best friend a lot lately, so I thought I'd share a little bedtime story with you. The kids favourite stories at night are true stories about Will and I from The Time Before Kids. This one is Aoife's favourite and she requests it nearly every night. I'm not sure how accurate it is as it is a story I have grown up with and my memory is terrible.

Cath's Birth

One day PG, Nelly, Mudgie, Gen and me as a tiiiny little baby went for a picnic to Waranga Basin, which is like a lake. We drove down a bump, bump, bumpy road 'til we got to a beach. Nelly, Mudgie and Gen spread out the picnic blankets. I didn't 'cause I was a baby. I just lay in my basket. PG got out the windsurfer and went all the way over to the other side of the Basin.

Nelly, Mudgie and Gen sat down and had a picnic. After a while Nelly said ooohhh, my tummy hurts. Then after a little while more she said oh, my tummy hurts again. Gen had just had a baby (me) and she said, Nelly, maybe the baby is coming, 'cause when the baby starts to come out it hurts your tummy. So Mudgie and Gen got up and started jumping up and down and waving and yelling PG, PG come back. PG finally noticed them waving and sailed back over and said what are you waving for? Gen said I think the baby is coming, we have to get Nelly to a hospital. So they threw the picnic things in the car, put me in the car and PG put the windsurfer on top of the car.

They drove back down the bump bump bumpy road, then onto the smoooooth road and all the way to the hospital. When they got there Nelly and PG went inside and the baby came out of Nelly's tummy. Gen and Mudgie took me in and showed me the baby. They said George, this is Cath and she'll be your best friend forever. And she still is.

*****************************************************

Update
Aoife brought this painting home today. Cath's Birth is still her favourite bedtime story.


The quote on the top, recorded by her childcare teachers, reads:
"First it goes bump bump, then flat, flat, flat, flat. It's a nice nice road I made."

Explaining the painting to me she said:
"It's the road to Cath's born."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice way to get me teary eyed first thing in the morning...

miss you too!
xx

Anonymous said...

ohhhhhhh that's just beautiful XXX Patricia