Monday, 19 February 2007

The Latest Disaster

It was hot here yesterday. Very hot. 39 degrees hot. It was hot the day before as well. This makes for frayed nerves and short fuses. Airconditioning was the only reason I could laugh at the following story ...

I took the kids to the supermarket. We had been at the shops for awhile, printing photos, buying boob pads and doing other Mummy-type activities. The supermarket was the last stop. Euey was coping fine, sitting up in his pram eating chips (hot chips, not cold). Aoife had just been fed and I was carrying her so she could have a burp. She's not keen on lying down straight after eating. This meant I had a buba in one hand and a pram in the other. No spare hand for a shopping basket, so I improvised and put the groceries in the back of the pram, where Aoife goes. No problem I thought, she's light enough to carry for a long time, she's just been fed and changed and she's generally comfortable (she hasn't had a poo in a couple of days, but that's pretty normal for a breast fed baby). What could go wrong?

So here I was, happily trundling along with two content gorgeous little bubas, when Aoife did a poo. No problem, I thought, it's just a quick shop, I'll change her in a minute. Then I looked down. OH SHIT! Literally. Running down her legs and all over my t-shirt. Nice, now I had shit all over me, and her, and I couldn't leave the shop because I'd be done for theft of cheese spread and vegetables. So I did what any panicking Mum-of-two would do. I grabbed a packet of face cloths off the nearest shelf, the wipes out of my bag and I changed a wiggly baby on face cloths spread on the floor of the supermarket. All class. Then I calmly wiped poo off my t-shirt and waited in a VERY LONG line to pay for my cheese spread and vegetables, while Aoife screamed blue murder because she'd just completely emptied her little body and now thought she was going to starve to death. On the up side, a very lovely lady let me skip in front of her so I could get the hell out of there a little quicker, and the man in front of me unloaded the groceries for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh poo!!

dude, that sounds shit!

hahaha.... :)