Thursday, 22 March 2007

Little Ball of Suck

Notice to all Mums whose babies don't sleep well:
The following post may be harmful to your mental health.

Aoife is a dream baby. Literally. She feeds like a demon from about 4pm 'til 10ish, but this is only because she's stocking up. At 10pm (sometimes earlier) she goes down for the night, only waking once around 4am, then up for the day around 7 or 8am. If I'm really lucky she doesn't wake 'til 6, by which time I'm feeling so rested I get up and actually get to have a cup of tea before Euey gets up.

This long sleep means at 4am she wakes feeling so hungry that her whole body is absorbed by the hunger. She draws her knees up to her chest and forms a ball. Then she balls up both fists and tries to stuff them in her mouth at once. She doesn't cry. It is the sound of very loud sucking that wakes me. It is difficult to carry her to the couch; (1) because I'm nearly in tears laughing at the desperate sucking and (2) because that round wiggly shape is damn hard to hold.

I wish I had a photo, but stills would not do the sight justice.

1 comment:

Spanna said...

Our kids are exactly the same!! I too wake up to furiuos sucking and strange peacock noises!!!! He doesn't really cry to wake me up, just short little bursts of yells. How cute are the sucks!!!