Friday, 17 September 2010

School

Euey received a big letter today, from his new school in Shepparton. I thought tonight would be a good time to open it, because Aoife and Finian were already asleep. Had I known his reaction I would not have given it to him on a night when Will wasn't here (footy finals you see).

Inside was a green envelope with a star attached and a letter. I read the star: This is a special gift for you to wear each time you come to school to see us. Inside was a name tag. Wow! ... Wow! he said when he saw it. Can I try it on? It had sparkles on it, Euey's favourite.

Next: the letter. First I explained it was from his Buddy and that his Buddy was a friend who was older than him and had been at school for a long time, so he could always ask him for help. Dear Euan, I began - How does he know my name? He interjected. After some explanation about how I'd told the school we were moving and that he would be starting there, I continued. Dale's letter was lovely. He loves dogs, so they have something in common already and Euey wants to take his favourite little toy puppy to show him.

Euey was quiet for awhile after I finished reading, thinking I guess. I used the time to tell him that we would be visiting his school lots of times before he started, so he could meet Dale then. I want to start school when we get there, he said. I have a mate. He doesn't even know me but he's my mate! Then he looked down at the name tag. Can I wear it aaaaalll night? Please please please please??

Two problems to deal with. First, the name tag. Sorry Darling, it might prick you, let's put it beside your pillow. Okay (sad face). Next, starting school. Now, you won't start school straight away, you have to finish Kinder first. You'll start school after Christmas.

Christmas? Christmas? He jumped up and started bouncing on the bed. Christmas, Christmas, Christmas Christmas!!!! Realising I'd lost him I kissed him good night and started to walk out. Mum, he said, ceasing bouncing with a serious face. Mum, I've got a GREAT idea. Let's put the sparkly name thing with my jocks, I never forget my jocks in the morning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

too too funny!!

Anonymous said...

preciousness!
I could feel his excitement with his words!:)
xxx
Pat